Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Make a gardening toolbox Customize it with a cool photo transfer Easy technique!

Spring is almost here! 


Since March first is tomorrow, this is my official "kicking off spring" project. Yeah, I know spring doesnt start for a few more weeks and I realize many of you are still under a mountain of snow, but why not start looking forward to the coming season? Building a springy-type project will get you in a thawing-out frame of mind!

This tool tote can be made to function as a toolbox or as a decorative piece. As I began building mine, I realized that I liked it better as a planter. I suppose its like building a workbench that is so nice to look at that you dont want to scratch it! 

However you wish to approach this, its a super-easy project you can make in a day. If you dont have a tablesaw, you can simplify it by eliminating the angled sides and cutting out all the pieces with a jigsaw. The dowel pins arent necessary: I added mine after the glued-up sides were dry, so they are mostly decorative.




Inkjet-to-wood photo transfer

The ink-transfer technique is a blast! If you dont build this toolbox, try out this image-to-wood transfer on something. Just print out any image on a sheet of label backing on your inkjet printer. I found my pictures on Google Images and printed them in reverse so the text was facing the right way. I also bumped up the color saturation a bit, but I love the faded look on wood!

Free plans
  • WWMM Gardening Tool Tote (pdf)
  • Sketchup File

Auction!

I would love for you to consider placing a bid on this toolbox. Remember, 100% of your winning bid goes to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Place your bid here! Hurry! Auction ends Friday, March 7th. Thank you all who have been participating in these auctions. Im so proud of you Me-Mos!




No comments:

Post a Comment