Monday, February 24, 2014

Vintage Chest of Drawers

This chest/secretary thing is so unique! It's been sitting in the garage forever! 
I was almost so fed up with it, I almost put it to the curb! (Do you ever have so many irons
in the fire that you just can't be bothered???!) 
Well, glad I didn't. I just decided to get to it and slapped on some white chalk paint. 
Then I thought I would try some artwork on top by using that cool staining technique
I used on the french provencial dresser awhile back.  Here
OK.  Obviously the before. This is a solid mahogany which the manufacturer covered in this
horrid orangey lacquer finish.  Look what was on top!!!
 This beautiful mahogany wood top!! So I chalked out a hibiscus flower, got out my stains, and went
to town!! I just used a combo of stains. Some I left on for a few minutes, and others I wiped away quickly. This is just a fly-by-the-seat-ofyour-pants type of thing. You really can't follow exact
directions. It's like painting. You just do it. Make sense??? Yeah, well, that's all I got!
All finished. And a few coat of semi-gloss poly 

The final version. Mahogany is so pretty when it's finished correctly! 

More pics.......
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment